8.01.2011

Marriage Mondays: Marriage Supermodels, B-Mac

Today's Marriage Monday is a series of interviews I did with some lovely friends of mine. I asked a bunch of girlfriends, all of whom are in very different stages in their dating/relationship lives, some questions about marriage role models. I am really excited to share their responses with you. I "participated" in the interview also, and will be posting my own answers last. I'm excited to share with you these smart, interesting women's take on marital role models and how they weigh in on our own marriages. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together! And please, feel free to answer the interview questions yourself in the comments! I'd love to hear more views on this topic! : )

--------------------------------------


My friend B-Mac and I met as the new kids in high school. We went to a high school that was part of a Nursery-12th grade school, so many of the kids had been attending school together since they were 4 years old! We showed up to the school as two out of place (and on scholarship) kids and ended up being friends for life. We've been through a lot together, and as she said in her toast at our wedding, we've only gotten closer over the years. She's been in a relationship for eight years (wowza) that has had its up and downs and she's weathered them all. Together, they have an adorable (and way too smart for his own good) son. I asked her to participate in today's series because unlike a lot of my friends, B-Mac has never really been big about marriage. While I was (surprisingly) the one who was always demanding declarations of futurehood from my spouses, B-Mac was always so chill about stuff. Her answers were so interesting to me because in so many ways, I was always jealous of her chill attitude. I hope you enjoy her interview!

1. Marty Created Alias? B-Mac

2. What is your marital status? (If you are married, please tell me how long you've been married.)
In a relationship (8 and a half years)

3. Growing up, what was your view of marriage?
I can't remember how I felt about marriage growing up. I don't think I really thought about it much, honestly. But I can tell you how it affects me now looking back on my parents relationship growing up.


4. Do you feel like you have strong role models for marriage in your life?
My parents have been married since 1969. I have always had really good role models for marriage. The only thing my parents ever fought about was money and I always felt loved by both of them. I also always felt that they truly loved each other.

4a. If yes, how do you feel like they affect your marriage?
Well, I am not married....yet. I am not in a real hurry like most women to get married and have this elaborate ceremony. I'm happy just being together. However, I do eventually want to get married. I just don't feel that it has to be the first step in our relationship. :)

4b. If no, is/was this a concern for you? Do you wish you had better marriage role models?

5. Do you think having positive marriage role models is important to a successful marriage? Why or why not?
I definitely think so...I think that my parents have showed me what's really important in a marriage. People who do not have that (and [it] doesn't necessarily have to be their parents) role model may not know how to get past certain trivial things that can happen in a relationship. Not settling is a big deal too. Lots of people settle because they feel it's the thing to do; I would never do that and I think my role models instilled that in me as well. :)

Thank you so much for agreeing to share with us!

Do you subscribe to Not the Marrying Kind? If not, you should! It's free and fun and it means you automatically get new posts when the blog is updated. No having to check back! Click here for more details.

(Photo by Theresa Scarbrough)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...