7.19.2011

Long Grove

A.P. took this past Friday off work and I decided the poor guy needed a break. A while back, we talked about taking a day trip to Long Grove, IL, a little town about 40 miles northwest of Chicago that is known for its small town charm and covered bridge. I decided to pack us a picnic and drive out there. I also packed the badminton set, hoping we'd happen onto a nice park.

I told A.P. we couldn't sleep in too late, that we wanted to be on the road around noon-ish. Ummm...yeah, we both slept in until 11:30. Oops. So the day started off on the wrong foot. I have a hard time waking up and doing things right away. I do that all the time with work, so when we have plans that we control (e.g. we're not meeting someone or have to be somewhere exactly at a certain time), I like to putz around for a while before finally getting ready and going. So, putz away I did. For a while. We didn't end up leaving until almost 4pm. So much for a picnic lunch.

As soon as we hit the road, it was traffic, traffic, traffic. Though we debated turning around, we plodded along. Finally, we arrived in Long Grove. I want to tell you it was awesome and it turned out to be a wonderful afternoon/evening. But Long Grove was kind of...eh. A lot of the shops were "coming soon" or had "space available" signs in the window.

When we arrived, we ate our picnic in a little courtyard near a fountain. Then we walked around. We certainly have spent worse afternoons, but I don't think we'll be heading back to Long Grove again any time soon. It's a cute town, but there's not much going on there. Still, it was nice to get out of the city and spend some time alone together. And A.P. worked on what he referred to as his "fake camera smile" which I think is awesome even if it is fake (A.P. is a bit of a Chandler when it comes to taking pictures). Here are some photos from our afternoon together.


(Photos by me!)

1 comment:

  1. That place looks lovely :)
    I have the worst time getting up, but I really can't get up right away after waking up (my BP would fall, that just makes me feel sick) and during my first hour awake, I'm incredibly slow. The natural conclusion would be that I need to get up earlier, since I'm being slow. Well guess what, the earlier I get up, the slower I go. I shouldn't do mornings, I'm telling you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...